Toyota vehicles continually receive Consumer Reports Top 10 Picks for Best Cars of the Year reflecting their value and safety. This accolade is awarded based upon extensive owner surveys stringent track tests. Each car for the model year receives an Overall Score, and the vehicles with the top 10 scores receive the award from Consumer Reports.
The Overall Score is calculated using these components:
- Road Test: The CR Auto Test Center subjects each car to 50+ evaluations, including assessments of track performance, convenience and comfort.
- Reliability: Subscribers report problems to CR, which tabulates the results of its surveys on more than 500,000 vehicles. The reliability of new or redesigned vehicles is based on the manufacturer’s historical record.
- Safety: CR runs accident avoidance tests, and also incorporates crash test data from industry and government testers. Extra credit given for automatic emergency braking and forward-collision warning.
- Owner Satisfaction: CR tallies survey results of owners who would purchase the same car if they had to do it all over again.
Here are the Toyota vehicle winners for model years 2010 through 2017:
- Toyota Yaris: 2017
- Toyota Sienna: 2016
- Toyota Camry: 2016
- Toyota Camry Hybrid: 2012
- Toyota Prius: 2017, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
- Toyota Highlander: 2017, 2015, 2013, 2012
- Toyota RAV4: 2012, 2011
- Toyota Sienna 2012, 2011